Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Spiced apple sangria

Well hello sangria weather. It's nice to see you.

red wine sangria (2)

Many years ago, a friend of mine made a batch of sangria. I guess you could say my tastes were not as evolved as they are now because my reaction was, "What is this? Red wine and sprite?" I've come a long way since then (and my friend and I still joke about it.) When the temperature rises, this is one of the first things I make. I love a glass on the deck while the kids play outside and hubby grills something delish. Close my eyes and I'm back in Spain. Doesn't get much better.

This makes enough simple syrup for a few batches. Think party. Or another batch next weekend. I keep the extra syrup in a jar in the fridge. I use good (not great) wine. This particular one is my fave these days. It's drinkable on its own, but not so expensive that you don't want to make it better with some fruit, brandy and spiced apple simple syrup. And I also like to use Laird's apple brandy, but another apple brandy would do.

Forecast says 70's this weekend. Anybody want to come over for a glass???

red wine sangria (1)

Spiced apple sangria
Adapted from The Latin Road Home by Jose Garces

red wine sangria (3)

Ingredients
  • 1 apple
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 cinnamon sticks
  • 1 Tbsp. black peppercorns
  • 1 pear, cored and diced
  • 1 orange, diced, skin and all (discard seeds)
  • 1 bottle red wine, preferably Spanish or Portuguese
  • 1/4 cup apple brandy
  • Juice of half a lemon

Cooking Directions
  1. Peel and core the apple, reserving the peels and core.
  2. Place peels and core into a small pan with the sugar, water, cinnamon sticks and peppercorns. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Allow to cool, then strain, discarding solids.
  3. Meanwhile, dice the rest of the apple and combine in a pitcher with the pear, orange, red wine, and lemon juice.
  4. Add 1/3 cup of the apple syrup to the red wine mixture and mix well with a wooden spoon. Cover and chill. Serve over ice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...