Monday, July 18, 2016

Lobster, pea, and pea leaf salad

DSC_0013

It's hot. Stinky-sweaty kid hot, thank God I run at 5:30 a.m. hot. Maybe not Texas in summer hot, but I'm a bona fide Jersey girl who has had enough of this humidity. And who wants to cook when it's like this (OK, me), let alone eat a big heavy meal.

And so for the first time in all our years of marriage and dating, I served my better half a salad for dinner. I kept it a secret til just before serving (fear of mutiny perhaps). And guess what? He loved it. Even went so far as to say it's better than my lobster BLTs. Whaaaa????

My inspiration? My CSA of course. They gave me fresh peas and beautiful lettuce. So I wanted a dish that highlighted the peas. The lobster is lightly dressed and piled on top of a bed of pea leaves and Romaine. Add red onion, bacon, peas and tomatoes and dinner is done. I find pea leaves at my Asian market. But you could swap another tender green lettuce. And if you cannot get fresh peas, just thaw some frozen ones. Easy-peasy.


DSC_0004

Lobster, pea, and pea leaf salad

This light lobster and pea salad is perfect for a light supper on a hot summer night.

Ingredients
    Dressing
  • 2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
  • 2 Tbsp. sour cream
  • 1 tsp. lemon juice
  • 1/2 tbp. coarse Dijon mustard

  • Dressing
  • Meat from 2 cooked lobsters, each about 1 1/4 pounds
  • 1 cup peas, fresh or frozen
  • 4 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
  • 1/4 cup grape of cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 2 Tbsp. chopped red onion
  • 2 cups pea leaves
  • 6 medium Romaine leaves
  • Freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • Extra-virgin olive oil

Cooking Directions
  1. Whisk the dressing ingresients in a small bowl and set aside.
  2. If using fresh peas, blanch them in boiling salted water until tender, about 5 minutes.
  3. Toss the pea leaves and Romaine with a little lemon juice and olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Arrange on 2 plates.
  4. Toss the lobster meat with a little of the dressing to coat. Add more as needed, but don't overdress!
  5. Pile the lobster in the center of the plate then sprinkle the peas, bacon, onion and tomatoes over the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...