Thursday, March 3, 2016

Angel hair pasta with chicken, white wine and garlic

chicken-garlic-wine4
I'm a cookbook junkie. Big surprise from a food blogger. (We can and will psychoanalyze my addiction in a future post.) But mid-week, I don't always have time to consult my "friends" (aka Mario, Ina, Laurent, Thomas, etc.) So this is one of my go-to dinners. Few reasons:
  1. I almost always have all the ingredients on-hand - garlic, white wine, chicken, parsley, pasta
  2. I can make it in about 25 minutes. 
  3. I can make it any time of day and heat it for dinner. So if I'm working from home, I can throw it together at lunchtime. If I'm in the office, I can whip it up when I get home.
  4. Everyone claps when it hits the table. Yes, the kiddies actually cheer for this one.
Number 4 is my favorite. And if I make a little extra, lunch for the next day is done for the kids too!

So working moms, make this one tonight. No joke. My husband loves it. My kids love it. Makes for a happy night. (and if you use regular wine instead of cooking wine, BONUS! a glass for mommy!)

chicken-garlic-wine3

Angel hair pasta with chicken, white wine and garlic

I think this originated with a recipe my mom clipped from a newspaper when I was a kid (in other words, longer ago than I'd care to admit). I first made it in college. I no longer even look at a recipe to make it. In other words, it's easy!

chicken-garlic-wine5
Ingredients
  • 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup Extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 Tbsp. butter
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 cup white wine (I use Pinot Grigio, but you can use cooking wine or whatever you have on hand)
  • 1 small bunch fresh parsley leaves, chopped
  • 3/4 lb. Angel hair pasta, or pasta of your preference
  • Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese

  • chicken-garlic-wine
Cooking Directions
  1. Cut each chicken breast into 4 thin pieces (you can skip this step, but I find it improves the taste and makes the chicken more tender).
  2. On a small plate, mix together flour with salt and pepper to taste.
  3. If you are going to serve the dish immediately, start bringing a large pot of water to a boil for your pasta. If you're making the chicken ahead, wait and cook the pasta just before serving.
  4. In a saute pan with a lid, heat the olive oil and butter over medium heat.
  5. When the oil is hot, dredge the chicken pieces in the flour mixture. I don't worry about shaking off the excess - it thickens the sauce and adds more flavor. Place them in the pan and cook until golden brown. Turn them over and brown the other side. Transfer chicken to a plate.
  6. Reduce heat to medium-low and add the garlic, being careful not to brown it. Let it cook for about 30 seconds, then pour in the wine. Bring to a simmer and let it cook for 5 minutes.
  7. Return the chicken to the pan along with any juices that have accumulated. Season to taste with more salt, if needed. Sprinkle the parsley over the top and cover.
  8. Simmer on low heat for 20 minutes, flipping the chicken halfway through. During the last 5-10 minutes cook your pasta and drain.
  9. To serve, put pasta in bowls and top with chicken and plenty of the sauce. Finish with a generous sprinkle of Parmigiano-Reggiano.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...